Energy Focus Blog
How to Direct-Wire a Fixture for Single-Ended LED Lamps
Energy Focus single-ended LED lamps are installed as a direct-wire installation. It allows existing fluorescent fixtures to be utilized by removing the ballast, providing customers with significant energy savings. Single-ended LED tubes do not depend on any ballast to function normally, minimizing points of failure and requiring less maintenance. Additionally, Energy Focus offers a 10-year pin-to-pin warranty meaning you will have fewer costs of replacing bulbs and less time focusing on lighting maintenance.
You can view our retrofit installation video below and follow along with our easy laid-out steps with pictures!
1. Turn off the main power
2. Dispose of fluorescent lamps
3. Remove the ballast cover
4. Disconnect and cut live and neutral wiring from the ballast and set aside
5. Cut the wires leading to the lampholders from the ballast
6. Remove the ballast
7. Remove lampholders on one side of the fixture
8. Insert new unshunted lampholders for Energy Focus single-ended LED tubes
9. On the other lampholder, remove the connecting wire
10. Use a wire cap to connect the cut ballast and unshunted lampholder neutral wires together
11. Use a wire cap to connect cut ballast and unshunted lampholder live wires together
12. Reconnect the wire clip
13. Cover wires with ballast cover
14. Install an Energy Focus Single-Ended LED tube with the INPUT side placed in the newly installed unshunted lampholders
15. Turn on the main power
Your installation is complete!
Retrofitting your old fluorescent fixtures with new Energy Focus single-ended lamps will save you money on your energy bills.
If you have installation questions or are interested in Energy Focus LED products, please contact us and we will be happy to help you!